Meaghan Lee Callaghan
190 Camp Avenue Merrick, NY 11566 | (516) 510-3877 | meaghanleecallaghan [at] gmail [dot] com
Print & Web Intern, Audubon Magazine January 2017-June 2017
- Reporting and writing for the website and print magazine, fact-checking for print, proofreading, etc.
Producer, AudioFiles Fall 2016
- Managing hour-long, live radio magazine shows at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. View Shows Here
Print & Web Intern, Popular Science Summer 2016
- Reporting and writing daily science discoveries and study stories for the PopSci website. Writing two profile pieces for the print magazine, Sept-Oct 2016 and Jan-Feb 2017 issues View Web Articles.
Reporter, NYCity News Service Fall 2015
- Team member, reporting on local monk parakeets populations for the collection Science & the City. View Article.
Managing editor, The Knothole Aug. 2013-May 2014
- Managed a staff of 15 for a monthly publication. Assigned stories. Oversaw copyediting. Completed layout and design. Managed budgeting. View One Issue.
- Other positions at publication prior to role of managing editor, including: reporter, copyeditor and head layout.
Environmental columnist, The Daily Orange Aug. 2012-May 2014
- Pitched and wrote a weekly environmental and science-focused column. View Columns.
Environmental staff, NYS Office of Parks/Rec 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Managed and collected data on wildlife populations, particularly piping plovers, over three years at Sunken Meadow State Park and Jones Beach State Park.
- Created and taught environmental education and outreach.
Researcher and co-author, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Aug. 2013-May 2014
- Designed and preformed independent research: coding and analyzing periodicals on the topic of biomass energy. Work was published in the academic journal Energies. View Article.
Intern, Syracuse University Sustainability Division May. 2012-Dec. 2014
- Led a campaign to reduce food waste in dining centers. Planned the campaign. Surveyed and educated students about food waste.
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism Dec. 2016
M.A., Journalism, Concentration: Health & Science
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry May 2014
B.S., Environmental Studies, Concentration: Communications
Magna Cum Laude, Honors Diploma
In Conjunction with Syracuse University
Software/Platforms: Microsoft Excel, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, AVID ProTools, WordPress
Hardware: DSLRs Cannon 60/70D, Nikon D3000, Marantz Recorders 660/661, PC/Mac Proficient
Research Databases: Spokeo, Social Explorer, NYC Open Data, Science Direct, JSTOR, Google Scholar